Raspberry Pi is one of the popular development board which is available in mid-range. Raspberry pi is an OS-based development board and we require to install OS to use Raspberry Pi. We can perform initial OS set up in two ways, with a monitor, and without a monitor. Setting up Raspberry Pi without a monitor is also known as “Headless Setup”.
- 1 Steps to setup Setup Raspberry Pi
- 1.1 1. Download Raspbian OS from Official Website
- 1.2 2. Download and install Essential Softwares
- 1.3 3. Format SD card
- 1.4 4. Flash OS using Win32 Disc Imager
- 1.5 5. Insert SD card in Raspberry Pi and Power ON!
- 1.6 6. Continue for Headless setup
- 1.7 7. Connect Raspberry Pi with Laptop/PC and Open Advanced IP scanner.
- 1.8 8. Open Putty and enter the IP address
- 1.9 9. Login to your Raspberry Pi
- 1.10 10. Start VNC server and view with VNC Viewer
Steps to setup Setup Raspberry Pi
1. Download Raspbian OS from Official Website
1. Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software
2. Raspbian Buster with desktop
3. Raspbian Buster Lite
The prime difference between these versions of OS is size. Raspbian Buster with desktop means it has all essential GUI that needed for Desktop and its lite version is packed only with the CLI version. There is no GUI in the lite version. In simple language, you will only able to view the terminal. You can choose any OS depending on your application.
After downloading, don’t forget to extract the file from the zip.
2. Download and install Essential Softwares
Click to Download:
1. SD Memory Card Formatter
2. Win32 Disc Imager
3. Putty (For headless setup only)
4. Advanced IP Scanner (For headless setup only)
5. VNC Viewer (Optional for with Monitor Setup)
3. Format SD card
4. Flash OS using Win32 Disc Imager
5. Insert SD card in Raspberry Pi and Power ON!
6. Continue for Headless setup
7. Connect Raspberry Pi with Laptop/PC and Open Advanced IP scanner.
8. Open Putty and enter the IP address
9. Login to your Raspberry Pi
Please note that the password will not be visible when you type, just type and enter.
10. Start VNC server and view with VNC Viewer
After this, the VNC server will start. You will get an IP address on the terminal to access the VNC viewer.
Now open VNC viewer on laptop/PC and enter the IP address shown in the terminal. Here, you will be asked for login credentials, again you have to use the same as previous. Now you will get a new window with your Raspberry Pi Desktop. Now as a first step, connect to your WiFi, so that you will not need LAN/Ethernet cable again.
Hurrey, you just have completed Raspberry Pi setup without Monitor!